Roku app is available for free to download from Android and iOS OS with the help of which you can control the device or Roku TV. The very first step to start using the app is to select the Roku device from the screen that is appearing on the app.
If the Roku device is not available on the screen, then you won’t be able to stream the content. If the same problem has been encountering with your device, then read the suggestions discussed below:
What to check first?
Before checking the other possibilities, you need to check the network access. It should not be disabled on the Roku device as well as on the mobile. The steps to check the Roku network access are:
- Press the home button from the Roku remote.
- Go to ‘Settings’ followed by ‘System’. Now, you have to check for ‘Advanced’ settings.
- Select ‘External control’ followed by ‘Network Access’.
- Select ‘Default or permissive’ to use the mobile app.
Note: If you are using the permissive settings, then go to ‘Advanced’ network configuration.
What else is preventing your Roku device from appearing on the search screen?
If you find the network status is OK but you are still facing the problem, then go through the steps mentioned below:
- The network on mobile and on the Roku device is different which means no two devices are connected to the same SSID.
- Roku is using a public IP address instead of using a private IP address.
- You can find the IP of your device through ‘Settings’. Go to ‘Network’ then ‘About’ from the Roku device. If you find the Roku device is not within the private range, then it means your device is under public IP address. This is common if the router is not present and you can sort out this issue by installing a router or contacting an ISP who manages the network.
- Mobile is connected to the VPN: We normally use VPN when we want to connect to the work network from home. If your mobile is connected to the VPN, then disable it since some VPNs are not supported by Roku mobile app and causes your device not to be discovered on screen.
- Network with AP isolation enabled: AP isolation prevents the device from communicating to the wireless network. Go to documentation page from the router manufacturer website and check how to disable AP from settings. You can also ask experts who manage your network.
If you are still facing the problem, then restart your Roku device and connect it to the network manually. You can enter the IP address manually under the ‘Settings’ menu.
The process of restarting the Roku device can be checked from an online page. You must restart your device as well as Roku mobile app for proper configuration of wireless networks.